The Multiplication symbol, also known as the times sign, is a sign used in mathematics to show the multiplication operation.
In today’s article, you’ll learn about all the simple methods you can use to type the Times sign on the keyboard using either Windows or Mac.
You can also use the button below to copy and paste the Multiplication symbol.
However, keep reading if you just want to learn how this symbol is typed on the keyboard.
Multiplication symbol (Times Sign) [×] Quick Guide
To type the Times or Multiplication symbol on the Windows keyboard, press down the Alt key and type 0215 using the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key. On the Mac, press Option + 00D7 on your keyboard.
These shortcuts work everywhere including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and anywhere on the Windows or Mac PC.
The table below provides a quick guide for the Times sign.
|Symbol Name||Multiplication sign|
|Shortcut for Windows||[Alt] + |
|Shortcut for Mac||Option + 00D7|
The above quick guide provides some useful information about the Multiplication symbol. However, below are other options you can also use to type this symbol in Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
The Multiplication symbol [×] Alt Code for Windows
The Multiplication symbol alt code is 0215.
If you are looking for how you can type this symbol on the keyboard, then you’ve found it. Just obey the following instructions:
- Place the insertion pointer where you need to type the Multiplication symbol.
- Press and hold the Alt key on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the Times sign alt code (0215) using the numeric keypad.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to insert the symbol into your Word document.
This is how you may type this symbol on Windows using the Alt Code method.
The alt code method works only for Windows. The next section will show you how to type it on Mac using a keyboard shortcut.
How to type a Multiplication symbol on Mac
The keyboard shortcut to type the Multiplication symbol on Mac is Option + 00D7 .
Obey the following instructions to type this symbol on Mac using the keyboard shortcut stated above:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to type this symbol.
- Then press down the [Option] key and then type 00D7 code.
With this keyboard shortcut, you can type the Times symbol anywhere on your Mac computer.
How to insert the Times Sign in Word/Excel
Using the insert symbol dialog box, you can insert any symbol into any of the Office apps including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Using this dialog, you can insert the Multiplication symbol in any of the office programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
In this section, I am going to show you a step-by-step guide to add the Multiplication sign or any other symbol that is not found on the keyboard.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
- Launch your Word or Excel or PowerPoint document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select More Symbols.
The Symbol dialog box will appear.
- Now to easily locate the Times sign, simply type 00D7 in the character code box near the bottom right side of the window.
- The Times symbol will appear and selected.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you place the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert the Multiplication symbol or any other symbol into your Word/Excel document.
Using insert Equation Method
The equation feature in Word is very helpful when you need to insert lots of mathematical symbols including the Multiplication symbol.
In this section, I’ll show you how to insert the Multiplication symbol in Word using the insert equation feature.
Just obey the below instructions:
- Place the cursor where you want to type the sign.
- Press Alt+= on your Keyboard to introduce the equation field. The equation field looks like the screenshot below:
- In the Type equation here box, type \times and press the spacebar.
The Multiplication sign should appear in the equation field after you type \times and press on the spacebar key.
Copy and Paste Multiplication symbol
One of the easiest ways to get any symbol on any PC is to use the copy and paste method.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
To copy and paste the Multiplication symbol, select it (×) and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to where you need it and press Ctrl+V to paste.
For windows users, obey the following instructions to copy and paste this symbol using the character map dialog.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. Click to open the Character map app in the search results.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click on the Advanced view checkbox to expand the dialog box for more options.
- On the advanced view, type Multiplication Sign in the Search box at the bottom of the dialog.
- You should now see the Multiplication symbol on the character map dialog. Double click on the symbol to select it. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol, it’ll appear in the Characters to copy: field, hit on the Copy button to copy.
- Now switch to where ever you wish to insert the symbol and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
As shown in this article, there are several methods you can use to type or insert the Times sign or Multiplication symbol on your PC or Mac.
My favorite approach on Windows is to use the Alt code method, it’s a lot easier provided you know the alt code for the symbol you wish to type. For Mac users, using the keyboard shortcut comes handy.
If you still want something to be clarified about this symbol, please let me know in the comments section below.