The accents on “e” are diacritical marks used to indicate stress or placed over the letter to indicate a special pronunciation. The main use of the accent marks on the “e” letter is to change the sound or pronunciation of the letter. Some of these marks are special French accents, Spanish accents, and other international languages.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to type e’s with accents on top of them using Mac or Windows PC. Depending on the Operating System you are running on, there are different methods, including keyboard shortcuts, for typing these accents for different documents. You’ll learn each of these methods in a jiffy.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Option 1: Type e with accent using Alt Code on the Keyboard (for Windows only)
To type e with an accent in Windows, press and hold the alt key, then type the alt code for that particular letter. For example, press Alt+0233 for é (e with acute accent aigu), Alt+0232 for è (e with a grave accent), Alt-0235 for ë (e with umlaut accent), or Alt+0234 for ê (e with circumflex accent) also known as e L’Accent Circonflexe in French. This method requires that the numbers be typed using the numeric keypad with the Num Lock enabled.
The table below shows all the alt codes for each of the “e” with accent symbols – In lowercase and uppercases (small and capital e with an accents).
|Description||Accent with E||Alt Code Shortcut|
|Uppercase E with acute||É||Alt + 0201|
|Lowercase e with acute||é||Alt + 0233|
|Uppercase E with grave||È||Alt + 0200|
|Lowercase e with grave||è||Alt + 0232|
|Uppercase E with circumflex||Ê||Alt + 0202|
|Lowercase e with circumflex||ê||Alt + 0234|
|Uppercase E with umlaut||Ë||Alt + 0203|
|Lowercase e with umlaut||ë||Alt + 0235|
Below is a step-by-step guide to type any of the above ‘e’ accented letters with the help of the alt codes in the table above.
- First, open up the document where you want to type the e with an accent mark. It could be Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Notepad, or even in your Web browser where text can be entered.
- Turn on your Num Lock key. In other words, ensure that the keys on the numeric keypad are not disabled.
- Press and hold the Alt key, and using the numeric keypad, type the alt code of the character you wish to type. The alt codes of the various e’s with accents are listed in the table above.
- Now release the Alt key after typing the alt code on the numeric keypad.
NOTE: This option is only for Windows users. To type accents on e for Mac, refer to the next option. Also, note that this method requires your keyboard layout to have a separate numeric keypad or a numeric keypad embedded inside a small laptop keyboard. The number keys above the Top row won’t work.
Option 2: How to Type e with accent on Mac (Shortcut)
The easiest way to type accents on the e letter on Mac is to use a keyboard shortcut.
Each one of the accented “e” letters (è, é, ê, ë) has its own unique shortcut. However, they all follow a very similar keystroke pattern.
Let’s see how to type any of these accents on ‘e’ using the keyboard shortcut on Mac.
- To type è (e with grave accent), press [OPTION]+[`], then e.
- To type é (e with acute accent), press [OPTION]+[e], then e.
- To type ê (e with circumflex accent), press [OPTION]+[I], then e.
- To type ë (e with umlaut accent), press [OPTION]+[u], then e.
Note: If you want to type capital e with accents on Mac, use the above hotkeys whilst your caps lock key is turned on.
For more options on how to type e with an accent mark, specifically in Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, refer to the remaining sections below.
Option 3: Insert e with Accent in Word
NOTE: You can easily type e with accents on Word using Option 1 (Alt code for Windows) and Option 2 (Shortcut for Mac). However, if you want to explore more ways to get these characters into your Word document, keep learning.
Aside from using the alt code method, there are two other ways to insert the “e” with accent marks in Microsoft Word. One involved using the insert symbol dialog box and the other involved using a keyboard shortcut that works only in Word.
Let’s explore these options one after the other.
Using Insert Symbol Dialog
To insert the “e” with accent symbol using the insert symbol dialog box, obey the following instructions:
- Open up your Word document and place the cursor where you want to insert the “e” with accent character.
- On the Insert tab, go to Symbols > Symbol > More Symbols.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. Select Latin-1 Supplement from the “Subset:” drop-down list. This will display all the symbols under this category including lowercase and uppercase e with accents symbols.
- Locate the accented letter you wish to insert and double-click on it. Alternatively, click to select your desired e with an accent symbol and click on the Insert button to insert it into your document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you may use to insert these symbols in Word using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
Using Keyboard Shortcut for Word
There are keystrokes meant for typing each of the “e” with accent symbols. These keystrokes or shortcut keys are designed to work only in Microsoft Word. Thus, if you are looking to type these symbols in programs other than Word, explore the other options.
Below are the various shortcuts to type e with accents in Microsoft Word:
- To type è (e with grave), press [Ctrl]+[ ` Grave] then e.
- To type é (e with acute), press [Ctrl]+[‘ apostrophe] then e.
- To type ê (e with circumflex/kappie), press [Ctrl]+[^ caret] then e.
- To type ë (e with umlaut), press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[; semicolon] then e.
NOTE: These keystrokes will give you the lowercase e with accents. However, if you want uppercase e with accent letters, turn on the caps lock whilst typing these shortcuts.
These are the shortcuts for typing accents on “e” in Microsoft Word.
Option 4: Insert e With Accent in Excel
If you are using a Windows PC, you can easily type any accented “e” letter in Excel. Mac users can also use the shortcuts stated in section two of this tutorial. However, if you are looking for another way to achieve this in Excel, keep learning.
To insert e with accents in Excel:
- Launch Excel.
- Select the cell that will contain the e with accent letter you wish to type.
- On the Insert tab, click on the Symbols drop-down button and select Symbol from the list.
- The Symbols Dialog box will appear. From the “Subset:” drop-down list, select Latin-1 Supplement. All the symbols under this group will appear, including all lowercase and uppercase e with accents.
- Click to select the particular e with accent you want to insert, then click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Excel document.
These are all the steps needed to insert any of the e letters with accents on top.
Option 5: insert e with accent in PowerPoint
Just like on Microsoft Word and Excel, you can use the e with accents symbol alt code to type them into your PowerPoint document. However, if you want another way to perform this task, keep exploring below.
To insert e with accent symbol in PowerPoint:
- Open your PowerPoint document.
- Place the insertion pointer on the slide that will contain the e with accent symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab on the ribbon.
- Click on the Symbols button to launch the Symbol dialog box.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. From the “Subset” drop-down list, select Latin-1 Supplement. You should see all the accented characters under this category of symbols.
- Select the e with the particular accent you wish to insert and click on the Insert button. Otherwise, just double-click on the symbol you want to insert into your PowerPoint document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you need to be able to insert the e with accent symbol in Microsoft PowerPoint using the Insert symbol dialog.
Option 6: Insert E with Accent in Google Docs
One of the easy ways you can use to get the E with Accent in Google Docs is through the ‘Special Characters’ tool.
The special characters tool allows Google Docs users to insert any symbol into documents, including the Accented E characters and many other special symbols.
Obey the instructions below to insert these accented letters in Google Docs using this Special Character’s tool.
- Open the Google docs where you want to insert the E with the accent mark.
- Go to Insert > Special Characters.
- The ‘Special Character’ window will Appear. Search for ‘E with’ in the search bar.
- Alternatively, use the drawing pad below the search bar to draw the symbol you want to insert. All you need to do is use the drawing pad to draw the letter e, and then the accent mark you need to place on it.
- After locating the character, simply double-click on it to insert it into your Google Docs.
These are the steps you may use to insert these accented e-symbols in Google Docs.
This process may look tedious for some. That’s why we included shortcuts for all the accented letters.
So, if you happen to use a particular accented letter, all you need to do is take note of the shortcut and use it as and when the need arises.
Option 6: Copy and Paste e with accent
Another easy way you can get the e with accent symbols on any PC (whether Windows or Mac) is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol (say in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
Below are the e with accent symbols for you to copy and paste into your Word document. Just select your desired symbol and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to your document, place your insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
You can also use the Character Map to copy and paste any symbol or character on Windows. It contains every symbol or character you can think of. Obey the following instructions on how to use the Character Map on any Windows PC.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click on it to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear.
- Select the e with accent symbol you want by double-clicking on it, it should appear in the Character to copy: field, then click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to the document where you want to paste the copied symbol, place the insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
How do I type é on my keyboard using Alt key Shortcut?
To type “é” on your keyboard using the Alt key, ensure that Num Lock is enabled, then hold the Alt key and type “0233” on the numeric keypad. Release the Alt key, and voila! You’ve successfully typed the accented letter “é” using the Alt key on your keyboard. Note that this method is specific to Windows-based systems, and the process may differ if you’re using a different operating system or device.
What is the Alt code for é?
The Alt code for typing the letter “é” on your keyboard is 0233. To use the Alt code, make sure that Num Lock is enabled, then hold the Alt key and type the code “0233” using the numeric keypad (not the numbers above the letters). Release the Alt key, and you will see the accented letter “é” appear.
How do you put any accent over an E?
You can utilize the Alt code method. This method is applicable to all accented E letters. Simply ensure that Num Lock is enabled on your keyboard, hold down the Alt key, and enter the specific Alt code for the desired accented E letter (all e with accent alt codes are available in on this page. For a convenient alternative, you can use online tools like SymbolHippo’s free accent marks keyboard. This tool allows you to easily select and copy the accented E letters you need. For Mac users, press and hold the Option key, then type the letter “e.” Release both keys and then type the letter “e” again.
Among all these several options to type the e with accent letters, I think using the alt code method for Windows is the fastest, provided you know the alt code of that particular symbol you want to type. If you happen to use these accented letters often, you can consider making a cheat sheet for your reference.
Using the keyboard shortcut to type e with an accent is also a handy method for Mac users. However, you can also use a mouse-based approach if you are inserting these symbols in any of the Office programs like Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
If you have anything to say about typing the e with accent symbol, please drop it in the comments section below.