The inch symbol is denoted by a double prime (i.e. double quotes) whilst the feet symbol is denoted by a prime (i.e. apostrophe). For instance, nine feet five inches can be written or typed as 9’5″ using your keyboard.
In today’s article, you’ll learn how to use some keyboard (or alt code) shortcuts to make or type the Feet and Inch Symbols (text) on the keyboard.
Note: On the standard keyboard, the Inch Symbol is the same as double quotes and an apostrophe respectively. To type the double quotes symbol as the inch symbol, press Shift + ′ (apostrophe), and to type the apostrophe as the feet symbol, just press the apostrophe key.
Now, below will show you more ways to type these symbols (double quotes and an apostrophe) using the keyboard.
Feet & Inch Symbols [“] Quick Guide
To type the Inch Symbol on Keyboard, press Shift + ′ (apostrophe key) simultaneously. And to type the feet symbol, just press once on the apostrophe key. For instance, eight feet four inches will be typed as 8′4″.
The below table contains all the information you need about these Symbols.
|Inch symbol on keyboard||[Shift] + [′] keys|
|Feet Symbol on keyboard||[′] key|
The above quick guide shows you what the inch and feet symbols are and some useful shortcuts and alt codes on how to type these symbols.
Also, below are some other fun ways you can use to insert these symbols into your work such as Word or Excel documents.
How to type Inch Symbol on Keyboard
Windows provides several methods for typing symbols on the keyboard.
In this section, I will make available for you five different methods you can use to type or insert the Inch sign on your keyboard.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Using the Inch Symbol Alt Code (Windows Only)
The Inch symbol alt code is 0148. Even though this Symbol has a dedicated key on the keyboard, you can also type it on the keyboard with the Alt code method. To do this, open your Word document and place the insertion pointer where you need to type the symbol. Then press and hold the Alt key whilst typing the Symbol’s Alt code (i.e. 0148) using the numeric keypad.
This method works on Windows only. And your keyboard must also have a numeric keypad.
Also, to type the Inch Symbol in Word, type 0022, then press Alt and X keys simultaneously to convert the code into an Inch Symbol.
Below is a break-Down of the steps you can take to type the Inch sign on your Windows PC:
- Place your insertion pointer where you need the symbol.
- Press and hold one of the Alt keys on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the Symbol’s alt code (0148). You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. On some laptops, there’s a hidden numeric keypad which you can enable by pressing Fn+NmLk on the keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to insert the Symbol into your document.
This is how you may type this symbol in Word using the Alt Code method.
Using the Inch Symbol Shortcut
The keyboard shortcut for the Inch Symbol is Shift + ′ (apostrophe). To use this shortcut, press the shift and apostrophe keys simultaneously.
Below is a breakdown of the Inch Symbol shortcut on the keyboard:
- Place the insertion pointer at the desired location.
- Then press Shift+′ (apostrophe).
These are the steps you may use to type the Inch Symbol.
Copy and Paste the Inch sign
Another easy way to get the Inch symbol on any PC is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page, or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol (say in Word or Excel), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
Below is the symbol for you to copy and paste into your Word document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to Microsoft Word, place your insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
Alternatively, just use the copy button at the beginning of this post.
For windows users, obey the following instructions to copy and paste the Inch Symbol using the character map dialog box.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click to check the Advanced view check-box to expand the dialog box for more advanced options.
- On the advanced view, type Quotation Mark in the Search box.
- You should now see the Inch Symbol on the character map dialog. If you can’t see it, then you should look through the library of symbols to spot it. When found, double click it to select. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol by double-clicking it, it should appear in the Character to copy: field, then click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your Microsoft Word or Excel document, place the insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
Using insert Symbol dialog box (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Obey the following steps to insert the Inch Symbol in Word using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select the More Symbols button.
The Symbol dialog box will appear.
- Type 34 in the Character Code: box. The symbol will appear selected.
- Click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you placed the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert the Inch Symbol in Word.
As you can see, there are several different methods you can use to type the Inches and Feet Symbols on the keyboard
Using shortcuts makes the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always fast.
Thank you very much for reading this blog.
If you have anything thing to say or questions to ask concerning the Inch sign, please drop it in the comments.