Assuming you are an avid gamer, chances are you know how important it is to perform actions with ease and quickness while gaming.
Mainly if you compete with other gamers because every wrong or delayed move could potentially cost you.
If you relate to the sentiment just mentioned, you will appreciate the G-shift, a creation of the Logitech gaming hub.
Logitech has constantly blessed the gamer community with convenient and innovative gaming paraphernalia, and their G shift is among their best creations.
You might be wondering what this is.
G Shift is a mouse that comes fitted with keys that you can customize so that they perform the task of your keyboard macros and other key combinations.
Considering many gamers are unfamiliar with the product, this article contains everything essential to know regarding the Logitech G-shift, from how to set it up to how to customize it and even its outstanding features.
As a professional gamer with any mouse type mentioned in the list below, it’s imperative to know about and utilize the Logitech G shift feature. When Logitech announced the G shift software, gamers were amused because this feature allowed them to perform several keyboard functions by simply pressing one button on their mouse.
Simply put, a Logitech G shift is a mouse customization option that allows users to override standard mouse button functions and otherwise customize them to perform different functions. Additionally, you can customize your mouse key configurations so that pressing one button performs different functions simultaneously.
- 20 MMO tuned buttons: Includes unique 12 button thumb panel designed for quick, no look navigation; The low friction polytetrafluoroethylene feet eliminate friction on nearly any surface for smoother motions, precise cursor movements and improved accuracy
- G shift ring finger button: Instantly double the number of actions you can perform with every button. PTFE Feet: 250-km range. Onboard memory: 1 profile
- Built for comfort: Sculpted shape and tuned buttons reduce click fatigue during marathon multiplayer sessions; G8 cycle modes
- Total personalization: Set it up your way with customizable thumb panel lighting colors, DPI levels or button assignments; Do not use a USB hub
- Made for PC gaming: Compatible with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8
The feature that allows you to use one mouse button to perform several keyboard functions is what led to the creation of the term Macro keys. Considering you can swap from the standard button functions to the G shift mode functions with the flicker of a button, it’s like you have two mouse’s at your disposal.
For perspective, assume you are in the middle of gaming and want to kick and then shoot someone. If the move mentioned earlier is performed by pressing the shift + X and ctrl keys, then you can configure one of the buttons of your mouse to perform both actions simultaneously. So, in short, the one mouse button will have replaced two keyboard keys.
This way, you will save valuable time and reduce the risk of making a mistake.
What Is the Logitech G Hub Gaming Software?
Most recent Logitech gaming paraphernalia is compatible with the Logitech G hub software. Examples of some devices compatible with the software in question are select keyboards, speakers, headsets, gaming mouse, and select wheels.
It is via the said software that you can customize the mouse buttons to perform different functions and download any extra features you might need.
Some of the outstanding features you can access through the software include:
So considering different games require you to perform different functions, you can customize the mouse configurations that will be helpful for the game in question. So, assuming that you usually play GTA and Call of Duty, the Logitech Software will automatically switch to the GTA configurations profile every time it detects that you are playing said game.
The Logitech gaming software has over 16 million color combinations to choose from. Therefore, if you have a Logitech-enabled keyboard, headset, mouse, speakers, and so forth, you can customize it in whatever color to match your set-up. Additionally, you can design your own color animations and place them wherever on your display to spice things up.
Lastly, this software allows light sync thanks to its RGB gear. For this reason, you can easily color-synchronize all your gaming paraphernalia in a way that they all display one color.
How To Set Up the G Shift Mode
Logitech prides itself on creating products and software that have a user-friendly interface. For that reason, you don’t need programmer or gamer experience to configure the G shift modifier keys. However, you need to have the Logitech G hub software installed before you proceed with the steps below. And for you to do that, your mouse needs to be compatible with the G shift software.
Setting up the G shift mode automatically activates it. When the G shift mode is activated, every action you perform will be per what you customized it to be, not the standard function. However, you will still have the default settings at your disposal if you want a change.
It’s imperative to note that there are three G shift modes to choose from. Namely:
This mode is the default G shift setting, allowing you to use all your mouse buttons as you normally would.
This mode is excellent for playing particular games. For starters, pressing the G shift modifier button will zoom in on any targets giving you an advantage over other players.
Turbo mode is also perfect for certain games. For perspective, pressing the G shift modifier button while in Turbo mode makes your weapon’s firing rate increase.
Keeping the above in mind, remember you can create different profiles and choose a different mode for each. This way, you can easily switch between profiles while gaming.
Here is a step-by-step guide to performing the task at hand:
- Open the G hub menu by clicking the Window icon with your mouse
- Scroll through the left navigation panel and click on Assignments
- Under the Assignments menu, tap on the Systems tab
- Choose the button on your mouse that you want to be your G shift modifier by dragging the G shift icon and dropping it on the button of choice that will have been displayed on the screen. By doing so, every time you press the chosen button, G mode will be activated
- Drag and drop other Keyboard macros, Keyboard keys, and other commands on the left panel onto respective mouse buttons. When G mode is activated, the respective mouse buttons will perform the task you dropped on them.
- To enable the G mode feature, toggle the slider at the bottom panel from Default to G shift.
How To Set Up Several Macros on a Logitech G Shift
One of the best marketing points of the Logitech G shift mouse is that it allows you to record several macros. In layman’s terms, you can easily assign one Mouse button to perform several functions at once; therefore, the button will be known as a macro key function.
There are two ways you can go about setting macros. One is via the official Logitech software command section, and the other is through the device. Below I will show you how to use the software’s command section.
1. Click on the Windows icon and type in Logitech G hub software then press Enter
2. Your dashboard will have a list of all nearby devices that are fitted with the Logitech hub software. Click on the mouse that you are trying to design macro keys for.
3. At this point, you will be directed to a separate page where you are supposed to design your new key configurations
4. Scroll through the menu on the left side of the screen and click on Assignments
5. Proceed to remap the keys, commands, and actions by dragging then dropping different configurations from the left side navigation panel onto the mouse keys on the screen on display.
6. If you want to keep track of the macros you have created so far, click on the Macros icon to reveal all the new configurations
7. You will now need to choose a macro type. Keep in mind that different macro types have different functions and also differ in how the macro key reacts to touch
For example, pressing one mouse button might be assigned the function of tab and space. Click the button once means you want the latter and clicking twice means you want the former function. You can make the actions vice versa and so forth.
8. Create a macro script by clicking the + icon directly opposite the Start now icon.
9. Once you are done creating your preferred script, click on the Red Square
10. Press the Save button for your new settings to be a register
Guide on How To Disable Macros
Even though you cannot delete a macro key configuration, you can temporarily disable it. This way, the button’s functions revert to their default settings.
Here is a tutorial on how to go about the task at hand:
1. Click on the Windows icon and type in Logitech G hub then press Enter
2. Scroll over to the left navigation panel and click on Assignments
3. Tap on the Macros tab and when it opens, scroll through its right panel
4. At this point, the display will present you with two options: Default and Disable. Please note that going with the Default option means your mouse will revert to its default settings and ignore any new settings you might have.
Alternatively, choosing the Disable option means that any Macro keys configuration you might have set will be temporarily disabled. Also, you won’t be able to use the button in question at all.
Please note that you cannot undo your actions once you disable the macro keys. Instead, you will need to uninstall and then reinstall the whole software for it to revert back to default settings.
G shift doesn’t have a toggle feature. However, you can switch mouse profiles, ultimately getting the same results. This is because you have the freedom of customizing each profile to be good at something different.
In layman’s terms, assume you have customized one profile so that the mouse configuration favors driving and another profile favors fighting. So, considering you can easily switch from one profile to another, you get to alternate between profiles during the game, meaning you will have a competitive advantage.
Here is how to go about it:
1. Click the Windows icon using your mouse
2. Search for the G hub software and click on it to open
3. Click the Active profile icon located at the top of the Window to open the profile tab
4. Click on the Add profile tab
5. Key in your desired mouse profile icon and press Enter to create a new profile
6. Go back to your previous screen by clicking your mouse on the Window icon
7. On the left navigation panel, click on the Assignments tab
8. Drag and drop the Profile cycle function from the left navigation panel onto the mouse button that you want to be used to change from one mouse profile to the another
9. To customize or add a new key configuration function to your new profile, go back to Logitech software homepage and go to the top left of the screen. Locate the new profile you want to edit and click to open
Every modern Logitech gaming peripheral is compatible with the G shift software. Additionally, a collection of select mouse brands can also be compatible. As for now, here are some of the Logitech compatible mice:
1. G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Gaming Mouse
2. G900 Wireless Gaming Mouse
3. G703 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Gaming Mouse
4. G602 Gaming Mouse
5. G600 Gaming Mouse
6. G502 RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse
7. G502 Proteus Core
8. G502 Hero Gaming Mouse
9. G403 Wireless Gaming Mouse
10. G403 Gaming Mouse
11. G402 Hyperion Fury
12. G305 Hyperion Fury
13. G302 Daedalus Prime
14. Pro Wireless Gaming Mouse
15. G90 Gaming Mouse
16. G300/G300s Gaming Mouse
17. G100s Gaming Mouse
18. Pro X Superlight Wireless
19. PRO Gaming Mouse
You might be wondering what all the G shift rave is all about. Well, here are a few great reasons that might make you join the wagon:
Gives Gamers an Edge Over the Rest
Customizing your G shift to suit your gaming needs gives you a playing edge when in competitive gaming. This feature allows you to combine several commands into one mouse button. For perspective, you can now fire at multiple targets at once, perform tasks quicker, and so forth.
Additionally, Logitech G shift is relatively easy to activate as well as to switch from normal to G shift mode. This makes it convenient for professional gamers.
Improves Your Gaming Experience
Considering you won’t need to rely on your keyboard to play as much, you will have an overall better gaming experience and tire your arms less.
The fact that you can customize your mouse buttons to perform different functions and commands is quite convenient. Also, you can remix the customization till you find your preferred combinations.
You can also override unwanted mouse configurations by enforcing your key configurations. This way, you get to maximize your mouse’s potential.
Is Reasonably Priced
Even though this appliance is packed with plenty of features, it’s not expensive. Of course, one would expect to be met with a considerable price tag, but it’s moderately priced, making it more accessible.
It’s Well Designed
This product is made with state-of-the-art materials giving it an expensive look. Also, you can customize the color to make it easy to blend in with the rest of the gaming appliances.
How To Change the Color of Led Lights When the G Shift Is Active
When G shift mode is active, the mouse buttons light up in a chosen led color. Thankfully, you have the option of customizing the led color by choosing from a collection of over 1000 colors as many times as you please. Here is how to go about it:
1. Long press the G key on your keyboard
2. While still pressing down the G key, press the any Fn Key
3. Skim through the available color options using the Arrow keys
4. When you finally choose a color, press Enter key to save changes.
How To Use the Logitech G Shift Feature on Keyboards
Contrary to popular opinion, you can also use the G shift feature on your keyboard. This feature allows you to customize your keyboard in such a way that it performs commands primarily carried out with your mouse.
First, your keyboard must be compatible with the Logitech G shift software. If it is, then you can configure it in a way that you can move the cursor around your desktop’s display without pressing any keys. Every time the G shift feature is enabled, a small icon will appear on the left side of your screen’s display.
Also, it’s imperative to note that while you can use the arrow keys to move the cursor in different directions, you need to press the spacebar to select something on the screen and ESC to exit the G shift mode.
All you need to do is set it up; here is a short tutorial:
1. Click on the windows icon and key in Logitech G hub software on the search bar. When it appears, click on it to open it
2. Scroll down on the left navigation menu and click on Assignments
3. Click on the Systems tab
4. Drag and drop the G shift element from the left navigation menu and drop it on the keyboard key that you want to act as your G shift modifier
5. Click on Save so that the software registers your new settings
6. From now on, clicking the keyboard button you just chose will activate the G shift mode
Unfortunately, Logitech gaming software designers are yet to incorporate a reset feature. Considering one way to utilize the features of a Logitech mouse fully is by constantly remixing your key configurations; the fact that you don’t have a reset button can be inconvenient.
However, there is one way around it. You can opt to uninstall the Logitech gaming software and install it afresh. You will lose all previous settings and have a clean slate to work with.
To uninstall the feature in question, follow the steps below:
1. Click on the Windows icon located on your Taskbar
2. Search for the Logitech hub gaming software by typing it in the search bar then click Enter
3. Right-click on it to reveal a drop-down menu
4. Scroll through the menu and click on Uninstall
5. On your preferred browser, search for the official Logitech site
6. Search for the Logitech software install icon by typing it in the search bar and then clicking Enter
7. Download the software and when it’s done, allow it to install
Many gamers think the G shift feature is hard to understand or incorporate. While that’s not entirely false, it will do you good to persevere through learning how it works, especially if you are planning to join the professional gamer community.
Hopefully, this article does the job and teaches you all you need to know to get started on your G shift journey.
Do all Logitech mice have the G shift feature?
No. You will only be able to access the G shift feature if the mouse in question is compatible with the Logitech gaming software, and not all the Logitech mice in the market have the feature in question.
Is it possible to change the mouse or keyboard led color while the G shift feature is active?
Yes, you can. The color-changing feature is independent of other G shift functions and can be easily changed via the Logitech hub gaming software.
What is the Logitech G hub well known for?
It’s known for designing different gaming paraphernalia fitted with unique yet user-friendly Logitech gaming hub software.
Is the Logitech mouse with G-shift features worth the hype?
Though the Logitech mouse is pricier than its competition, it’s definitely worth the price. Besides offering you an advantage when it comes to competitive gaming, it also improves your gaming experience because then you will be able to design macros reducing the number of keys you need to press.
What happens if I don’t know how to design my macros for the Logitech G shift?
The Logitech G shift mouse already comes equipped with default mouse settings. Therefore, you can take your time to learn how to design macro configurations using the default settings.
Last update on 2022-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API