How to type i with two dots over it (I with Umlaut)
i with two dots (ï for lowercase and Ï for uppercase) is a version of the “i” letter that is formed by placing two dots over it. It is also known as “i” umlaut or diaresis.
In this article, you are going to learn how to type the i with two dots symbol on your keyboard using either Mac or the Windows PC.
You can also use the button below to copy and paste the i umlaut character:
Without any further ado, let’s get to Work.
i with two dots (i umlaut) Quick Guide
To type i with two dots symbol on Windows, press and hold the Alt key and type the “i” umlaut alt code on the numeric keypad (i.e. Alt+0239 for small letter ï and Alt+0207 for capital letter Ï), then release the Alt key. For Mac users, press [OPTION] + [u], then type the letter i.
The table below contains everything you need to be able to type this character in Windows and Mac.
|Character Name||i umlaut|
|Uppercase Alt Code||0207|
|Lowercase Alt Code||0239|
|Shortcut on Mac||[OPTION]+[U], i.|
This is just a quick guide. For a more in-depth step-by-step guide, please continue reading below.
See also: How to type letter I with accnet marks
Two ways to type i with two dots on Mac
The fastest way to type symbols on Mac is to use the keyboard shortcut which is available for typing the “i” umlaut symbol. Let’s see how to do this in the following two options.
Option 1: Using Shortcut
The shortcut key for i with two dots is [OPTION]+[U], i. To use this shortcut, simply press and release [OPTION] plus the [u] key on your keyboard, then without pressing any other key, press “i” key once on your keyboard.
This should give you the Ï character. If you want to type the capital i with two dots symbol instead of the lowercase, turn on your caps lock key whilst you type this shortcut.
Option 2: Delayed Pressing Method
The modern version of the Mac OS comes with a very easy way to type letters with accents. It is extremely fast. This fast method involves a prolonged pressing of the letter for more of its versions. Let’s see how to do this with the “i” with two dots symbol.
To type i umlaut on Mac:
- Step 1: Press and hold the “i” key.
- Step 2: Continue holding on to the key until a menu with all the “i” accented characters appears.
- Step 3: Using your mouse, click the ‘i’ umlaut symbol to insert it into your document.
- Alternatively, press the number corresponding to the i umlaut character on the menu.
This is how you may type this symbol on Mac.
i umlaut (or i with two dots) Alt code
The “i” umlaut alt code is 0239 for lowercase and 0207 for uppercase.
To type i with umlaut symbol using the alt code:
- Step 1: Launch your Word document.
- Step 2: Place the insertion pointer at the desired location.
- Step 3: Press and hold the Alt key.
- Step 4: Using the numeric keypad. Type the “i” umlaut Alt code (0239 for lowercase or 0207 for uppercase)
- Step 5: Release the Alt key to finally insert the symbol.
NOTE: Before you can see the symbol inserted, release the alt key after you type the symbol’s alt code.
How to Insert Ï in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
Using the alt code method for windows and the shortcut for Mac, you can easily type “i” with umlaut anywhere including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. However, if you want more options, there’s also a mouse-based approach that you can use to insert this symbol in any of the Microsoft Office programs.
Let’s see how to use this method.
Related: How to type I with Tilde
Using insert symbol dialog
Almost all the Office programs have a command that allows you to insert any symbol or character using the Symbol’s dialog box.
Obey the following instructions to learn how to insert the “i” with two dots in Word/Excel/PowerPoint using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Open up your document and place the insertion pointer where you want to insert this i umlaut symbol.
- On the Insert tab, go to Symbol > More Symbols.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. Select Latin-1 Supplement from the “Subset:” drop-down list. This will display all the symbols or characters under this category.
- Locate the “i” with two dots symbol and double-click on it to insert. Alternatively, click to select your desired symbol (Lowercase ï or Uppercase Ï) and then click on the Insert button to insert it into your document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you may use to insert this symbol in Word using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
Copy and Paste i umlaut (or i with two dots)
One of the easiest ways to get this symbol into your document is to use a simple copy and paste method. It’ll save you some time of figuring out the shortcuts and techniques to type symbols.
To copy and paste the i umlaut symbol, select the symbol or character (Ï) and then press Ctrl+C to copy. Switch over to your document where you need it and press Ctrl+V to paste.
You can find both the lowercase and uppercase characters in the table below.
|Small letter i with two dots||Capital letter i with two dots|
As you can see, there are several ways to type or insert the i umlaut (or i with two dots) symbol into your document.
However, using the alt code method on Windows is very handy provided you know the alt code of the character you want to type.
For Mac users, using the shortcut or long-press method is also very easy.
For any comment on this article, please feel free to drop it in the comments section below this article.