A gender symbol is a pictogram used to represent biological sex and gender in biology or medicine. There are three standard gender symbols which include the male symbol ♂, the female symbol ♀, and the hybrid symbol ×.
In today’s article, you’ll learn how to use some keyboard shortcuts to type any Gender Symbol (text) anywhere like Word/Excel using Windows or Mac.
Just before we begin, I’ll like to tell you that you can also use the button below to copy and paste the Male or Female Gender sign into your work for free.
However, if you just want to type this symbol on your keyboard, the actionable steps below will show you how.
Gender Symbols [♂ ♀] Quick Guide
To type the Female Gender Symbol on Mac, press Option + 2640 shortcut on your keyboard. For Windows users, simply press down the Alt key and type 12 using the numeric keypad, then let go of the Alt key.
To type the Male Gender Symbol on Mac, press Option + 2642 shortcut on your keyboard. For Windows users, simply press down the Alt key and type 11 using the numeric keypad, then let go of the Alt key.
Below tables contains all the information you need to type the Male and Female Gender Symbols on keyboard for both Mac and Windows.
Male Symbol Details:
|Gender Symbol||Description||Alt Code Shortcut|
|♂||Male Gender Symbol||11|
|♀||Female Gender Symbol||12|
The above quick guide provides some useful shortcuts and alt codes on how to type the Male and Female Gender Signs on both Windows and Mac.
You can also explore the table below for different variation of the Gender symbols:
|Symbol Name||Symbol||ALT + Code||ALT X Code|
|Female sign||♀||ALT + 12||2640, Alt X|
|Male sign||♂||ALT + 11||2642, Alt X|
|Doubled female sign, lesbianism||⚢||ALT + 9890||26A2, Alt X|
|Doubled male sign, male homosexuality||⚣||ALT + 9891||26A3, Alt X|
|Interlocked female and male sign, bisexuality||⚤||ALT + 9892||26A4, Alt X|
|Male and female sign, transgender||⚥||ALT + 9893||26A5, Alt X|
|Male with stroke sign, transgender||⚦||ALT + 9894||26A6, Alt X|
|Male with stroke and male and female sign, transgender||⚧||ALT + 9895||26A7, Alt X|
|Vertical male with stroke sign||⚨||ALT + 9896||26A8, Alt X|
|Horizontal male with stroke sign||⚩||ALT + 9897||26A9, Alt X|
|Neuter||⚲||ALT + 9906||26B2, Alt X|
Also, below are some other methods you can use to insert this symbol into your work such as Word or Excel document.
How to type Gender Symbol [text] in Word/Excel
Microsoft Office provides several methods for typing Gender Symbol or inserting symbols that do not have dedicated keys on the keyboard.
In this section, I will make available for you five different methods you can use to type or insert the Gender Sign on your PC, like in MS Office (ie. Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) for both Mac and Windows users.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Using the Gender Symbols Alt Code (Windows Only)
The Male Gender Symbol alt code is 11 and the Female Gender Symbol Alt code is 12.
The table in the previous section shows all the alt code and shortcuts for each gender symbol.
Even though the Gender Symbol does not have a dedicated key on the keyboard, you can still type it on the keyboard with the Alt code method. To do this, press and hold the Alt key whilst pressing the Gender Symbol Alt code (i.e. 11 or 12) using the numeric keypad.
This method works on Windows only. And your keyboard must also have a numeric keypad.
Below is a break-down of the steps you can take to type the Gender Sign on your Windows PC:
- Place your insertion pointer where you need the Gender Symbol text.
- Press and hold one of the Alt keys on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the Gender Symbol’s alt code (11 or 12). You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. On some laptops, there’s a hidden numeric keypad which you can enable by pressing Fn+NmLk on the keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Gender Sign Alt code to insert the Symbol into your document.
This is how you may type this symbol in Word using the Alt Code method.
Using the Gender Symbol Shortcut (Mac and Windows)
For Mac users, the keyboard shortcut for the Male Gender Symbol is Option + 2642 and Option + 2640 for the Female Gender Sign.
For Windows users, use the Alt Code method by pressing down the [Alt] key whilst typing the Male or Female Gender symbol alt code which is 11 or 12 respectively.
You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. Also, ensure that your Num Lock key is turned on.
Below is a breakdown of the Gender Symbol shortcut for Mac:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to type the Gender symbol (♂ or ♀).
- Now, press Option + 2642 or Option + 2640 simultaneously on your keyboard to insert the Male or Female Symbol respectively.
Below is a breakdown of the Gender Symbol shortcut for Windows:
- Place the insertion pointer at the desired location.
- Press and hold down the Alt key
- While pressing down the Alt key, type 11 or 12 using the numeric keypad to insert the symbol.
These are the steps you may use to type Gender Symbol in Word or Excel.
Copy and Paste Gender Sign ♂ or ♀ (text)
Another easy way to get the Gender Symbol on any PC is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page, or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol (say in Word or Excel), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
Below is the symbol for you to copy and paste into your Word document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to Microsoft Word, place your insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste.
Copy Male Gender Sign
Copy Female Gender Sign
Alternatively, just use the copy button at the beginning of this post.
For windows users, obey the following instructions to copy and paste the Gender Symbol using the character map dialog box.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click to check the Advanced view check-box to expand the dialog box for more advanced options.
- On the advanced view, type Male Sign or Female Sign in the Search box.
- You should now see the Male or Female Gender Symbol on the character map dialog. If you can’t see it, then you should look through the library of symbols to spot it. When found, double click it to select. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol by double-clicking it, it should appear in the Character to copy: field, then click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your Microsoft Word or Excel document, place the insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
Using insert Symbol dialog box (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Obey the following steps to insert the Gender Symbol in Word using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select the More Symbols button.
- To easily locate the Male or Female Gender symbol, select Times New Roman font type in the Font list at the upper left section of the window. Then type 2642 for the male sign or 2640 for the female sign in the character code field at the bottom area of the window. After typing this character code, the Male or Female symbol will appear selected. Select the symbol and click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you placed the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert the Gender Symbol in Word.
As you can see, there are several different methods you can use to type the Male or Female Gender Signs in Microsoft Word or Excel.
Using the shortcuts for both Windows and Mac make the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always fast.
Thank you very much for reading this blog.
If you have anything thing to say or questions to ask concerning the Male or Female Gender Symbol, please drop it in the comments.