In today’s article, you’ll learn about all the simple methods you can use to type the Empty Set symbol using either Windows or Mac.
You can also use the button below to copy and paste the Empty Set sign.
However, keep reading if you just want to learn how this symbol is typed on the keyboard.
Empty Set [Ø] Quick Guide
To type the Empty Set symbol on Mac, press Option + Shift + O on your keyboard. For Windows users, press down the Alt key and type 0216 using the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key.
These shortcuts work in both Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and anywhere on the Windows or Mac PC.
The table below provides a quick guide for the Empty Set sign.
|Name||Empty Set Sign|
|Shortcut (Windows)||[Alt] + |
|Shortcut (Mac)||Option + Shift + O|
The above quick guide provides some useful information about the Empty Set sign. However, below are other options you can also use to type this symbol in Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
Empty Set symbol [Ø] Alt Code for Windows
The Empty Set symbol alt code is 0216.
If you are looking for how you can type this symbol on the keyboard, then you’ve found it with this Alt Code method. Just obey the following instructions:
- Place the insertion pointer where you need to type the Empty Set symbol.
- Press and hold the Alt key on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the Empty Set sign alt code (0216) using the numeric keypad.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to insert the symbol into your Word document.
This is how you may type this symbol on Windows using the Alt Code method.
The alt code method works only for Windows. The next section will show you how to type it on Mac using a keyboard shortcut.
How to type Empty Set Sign on Mac
The keyboard shortcut to type the Empty Set symbol on Mac is Option + Shift + O.
Obey the following instructions to type this symbol on Mac using the keyboard shortcut stated above:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to type this symbol.
- Then press Option + Shift + O simultaneously on your Mac keyboard.
With this keyboard shortcut, you can type the Empty Set symbol anywhere on your Mac computer.
How to insert the Empty Set Symbol in Word/Excel
Using the insert symbol dialog box, you can insert any symbol into any of the Office apps including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Using this dialog, you can insert the Empty Set symbol in any of the office programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
In this section, I am going to show you a step-by-step guide to add the Empty Set sign or any other symbol that is not found on the keyboard.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
- Launch your Word or Excel or PowerPoint document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select More Symbols.
The Symbol Dialog Box will appear.
- To easily locate the Empty Set symbol, type 00D8 in the character code field at the bottom area of the window. After typing this character code, the symbol will appear selected.
- Now select the symbol you want and hit the Insert button to get it into your document. Alternatively, double click on it to insert it into your document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you place the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert the Empty Set symbol or any other symbol into your Word/Excel document.
Copy and Paste Empty Set symbol
One of the easiest ways to get any symbol on any PC is to use the copy and paste method.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
To copy and paste the Empty Set symbol, select it (Ø) and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to where you need it and press Ctrl+V to paste.
You can also use the copy button at the beginning of this article.
For windows users, you may also obey the following instructions to copy and paste this symbol using the character map dialog.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. Click to open the Character map app in the search results.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click on the Advanced view check box to expand the dialog box for more options.
- On the advanced view, type “O with Stroke” in the Search box at the bottom of the dialog.
- You should now see the Empty Set symbol on the character map dialog. Double click on the symbol to select it. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol, it’ll appear in the Characters to copy: field, hit on the Copy button to copy.
- Now switch to where ever you wish to insert the symbol and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
As shown in this article, there are several methods you can use to type or insert the Empty Set sign on your PC or Mac.
My favorite approach on Windows is to use the Alt code method, it’s a lot easier provided you know the alt code for the symbol you wish to type. For Mac users, using the keyboard shortcut comes handy.
If you still want something to be clarified about this symbol, please let me know in the comments section below.