In today’s article, you’ll learn how to use some keyboard shortcuts and other methods to type or insert the Copyright Symbol (©) anywhere like Word/Excel using either Windows or Mac.
Just before we begin, I’ll like to tell you that you can also use the button below to copy and paste the Copyright C sign into your work for free.
However, if you just want to type this symbol on your keyboard, the actionable steps below will show you how.
Copyright Symbol [©] Quick Guide
To type the Copyright Symbol on Mac, press Option + G shortcut on your keyboard. For Windows users, simply press down the Alt key and type 0169 using the numeric keypad, then let go of the Alt key. If you are using MS Word, just type (c) and press the spacebar.
The below table contains all the shortcuts you need to type this Symbol on the keyboard for both Mac and Windows.
|Symbol Name||Copyright Symbol|
|Shortcut for Windows||Alt + 0169|
|Shortcut for Mac||Option + G|
|Shortcut in Word||00A9, Alt+X|
To use the shortcut in MS Word, first type the code 00A9, select it and press Alt+X on your keyboard.
The above quick guide provides some useful shortcuts and alt codes on how to type this Sign on both Windows and Mac. However, below are some other methods you can employ to insert this symbol into your work such as Word or Excel document.
How to Insert Copyright [©] symbol in Word/Excel
Microsoft Office provides several methods for the Copyright C Symbol or inserting symbols that do not have dedicated keys on the keyboard.
In this section, I will make available for you five different methods you can use to type or insert this and any other symbol on your PC, like in MS Office (ie. Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) for both Mac and Windows users.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Using the Copyright Symbol Alt Code (Windows Only)
Even though this Symbol (©) does not have a dedicated key on the keyboard, you can still type it on the keyboard with the Alt code method. To do this, press and hold the Alt key whilst pressing the Copyright Symbol Alt code (0169) using the numeric keypad.
This method works on Windows only. And your keyboard must also have a numeric keypad.
Below is a break-down of the steps you can take to type the Copyright C Sign on your Windows PC:
- Place your insertion pointer where you need the Symbol.
- Press and hold one of the Alt keys on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the Copyright C Symbol’s alt code (0169). You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. On some laptops, there’s a hidden numeric keypad which you can enable by pressing Fn+NmLk on the keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to insert the Symbol into your document.
This is how you may type this symbol in Word using the Alt Code method.
Using the Copyright C Symbol Shortcut (Mac and Windows)
For Mac users, the keyboard shortcut for the Copyright C Symbol is Option + G. For Windows users, use the Alt Code shortcut method by pressing down the [Alt] key whilst typing the symbol alt code which is 0169.
Note: You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. Also, ensure that your Num Lock key is turned on.
Below is a breakdown of the Copyright Symbol shortcut for Mac:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to type the symbol (©).
- Now, press Option + G simultaneously on your keyboard to insert the symbol.
Below is a breakdown of the Copyright C © Symbol shortcut for Windows:
- Place the insertion pointer at the desired location.
- Press and hold down the Alt key
- While pressing down the Alt key, type 0169 using the numeric keypad to insert the symbol.
These are the steps you may use to type this Symbol in Word or Excel.
Copy and Paste Copyright Sign
Another easy way to get the Copyright Symbol on any PC is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page, or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol (say in Word or Excel), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
Below is the symbol for you to copy and paste into your Word document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to Microsoft Word, place your insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
Alternatively, just use the copy button at the beginning of this post.
For windows users, obey the following instructions to copy and paste the Copyright Symbol using the character map dialog box.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click to check the Advanced view check-box to expand the dialog box for more advanced options.
- On the advanced view, type Copyright in the Search box.
- You should now see the © Symbol on the character map dialog. If you can’t see it, then you should look through the library of symbols to spot it. When found, double click it to select. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol by double-clicking it, it should appear in the Character to copy: field, then click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your Microsoft Word or Excel document, place the insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
Using insert Symbol dialog box (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Obey the following steps to insert the Copyright Symbol in Word using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select the More Symbols button.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. In the Subset drop-down list, select Latin-1 Supplement to display symbols in this category which includes the Copyright Symbol.
- Select the symbol and click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you placed the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert this and any other symbol Symbol in Word/Excel.
As you can see, there are several different methods you can use to type the Copyright Sign in Microsoft Word using your keyboard.
Using the shortcuts for both Windows and Mac makes the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always fast.
Thank you very much for reading this blog.
If you have anything thing to say or questions to ask concerning this post, please drop it in the comments.