In today’s article, you’ll learn about all the simple methods you can use to type the Sigma or Standard Deviation symbol (Uppercase Sigma: Σ, lowercase Sigma: σ).
You can also use the button below to copy and paste the Sigma/Standard Deviation symbol for free.
However, keep reading below if you just want to learn how to type this symbol on your keyboard using some little-known shortcuts for both Windows and Mac.
Sigma symbol [Σ] Quick Guide
To type the Sigma symbol on Mac, press [Option] + [w] shortcut on your keyboard. For Windows users, press down the Alt key and type 228 using the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key. These shortcuts work in both Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and anywhere on the Windows or Mac PC.
The table below provides a lot of information and shortcuts for the Standard Deviation symbol.
|Sigma Alt Code (Uppercase)||228|
|Sigma Alt Code (Lowercase)||229|
|Shortcut for Windows||[Alt] + |
|Shortcut for Word||03A3, Alt+X|
|Shortcut for Mac||[Option] + [w]|
The above quick guide provides some useful information about the Sigma symbol. However, below are other options you can also use to type this symbol in Word/Excel/PowerPoint or anywhere on your Windows or Mac PC.
Standard Deviation/Sigma symbol [Σ] Alt Code
The Sigma symbol alt code is 228 for uppercase and 229 for lowercase.
If you are looking for how you can type this symbol on the keyboard, then you’ve found it. Just obey the following instructions:
- Place the insertion pointer where you need to type the Standard Deviation symbol.
- Press and hold the Alt key on your keyboard.
- Whilst pressing down the Alt key, press the Sigma sign alt code (228) using the numeric keypad. Use 229 for sigma lowercase.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code (228) to insert the Σ symbol into your Word document.
This is how you may type this symbol on Windows using the Alt Code method.
The alt code method works only for Windows. The next section will show you how to type it on Mac using a keyboard shortcut.
How to type Standard Deviation or Sigma symbol on Mac
The keyboard shortcut to type the Sigma symbol on Mac is [Option] + [w].
Obey the following instructions to type this symbol on Mac using the keyboard shortcut stated above:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to type this symbol.
- Then press the [Option] and the [w] key simultaneously.
With these keystrokes, you can type the Sigma symbol anywhere on your Mac computer.
How to insert the Sigma symbol in Word/Excel
Using the insert symbol dialog box, you can insert any symbol, including the Standard Deviation or Sigma symbol, into any of the Office apps including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
In this section, I am going to show you a step by step guide to add the Sigma sign or any other symbol that is not found on the keyboard.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
- Launch your Word or Excel or PowerPoint document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select More Symbols.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. In the Subset drop-down list, select Greek and Coptic to display symbols in this category which includes the Sigma symbol.
- Now select the symbol you want and hit the Insert button to get it into your document. Alternatively, double click on it to insert it into your document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you place the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert the Standard Deviation symbol or any other symbol into your Word/Excel document.
Copy and Paste Standard Deviation symbol
One of the easiest ways to get any symbol on any PC is to use the copy and paste method.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
To copy and paste the Sigma symbol, select it (Σ) and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to where you need it and press Ctrl+V to paste. You can also use the copy and paste button at the beginning of this post.
For windows users, obey the following instructions to copy and paste this symbol using the character map dialog.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. Click to open the Character map app in the search results.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click on the Advanced view checkbox to expand the dialog box for more options.
- On the advanced view, type Sigma in the Search box at the bottom of the dialog.
- You should now see different variations of the Sigma symbol on the character map dialog. Double click on the symbol of your choice to select it. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol, it’ll appear in the Characters to copy: field, now hit on the Copy button to copy.
- Now switch to where ever you wish to insert the symbol and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
As shown in this article, there are several methods you can use to type or insert the Standard Deviation or Sigma sign on your PC or Mac.
My favorite approach on Windows is to use the Alt code method, it’s a lot easier provided you know the alt code for the symbol you wish to type. For Mac users, using the keyboard shortcut comes cheap.
If you still want something to be clarified about this symbol, please let me know in the comments section below.