Below are the alt codes for both lowercase and uppercase S characters, plus all the s letters with accent marks. Below this table, there’s a step by step guide on how to use these alt codes.
|Description||Symbol Text||Alt Code|
|Small letter s with acute||ś||347|
|Capital letter S with acute||Ś||346|
|Small letter s with dot above||ṡ||7777|
|Capital letter S with dot above||Ṡ||7776|
|Small letter s with circumflex||ŝ||349|
|Capital letter S with circumflex||Ŝ||348|
|Small letter s with caron||š||0154 or 353|
|Capital letter S with caron||Š||0138 or 352|
|Small letter s with cedilla||ş||351|
|Capital letter S with cedilla||Ş||350|
|Small letter s with acute and dot above||ṥ||7781|
|Capital letter S with acute and dot above||Ṥ||7780|
|Small letter s with caron and dot above||ṧ||7783|
|Capital letter S with caron and dot above||Ṧ||7782|
|Small letter s with dot below||ṣ||7779|
|Capital letter S with dot below||Ṣ||7778|
|Small letter s with comma below||ș||537|
|Capital letter S with comma below||Ș||536|
|Small letter s with dot below and dot above||ṩ||7785|
|Capital letter S with dot below and dot above||Ṩ||7784|
|Small letter sharp s, eszett, scharfes s||ß||225 or 0223|
|Capital letter sharp S, eszett, scharfes S||ẞ||7838|
Note: Some of these S with Accent Alt Codes work only in Microsoft Word.
See Also: How to type S with Accent Marks
How to Use the S Alt Code
To get the any of these S symbols using the alt code:
- Place your insertion pointer where you need to insert the S symbol.
- Press down the Alt key.
- While pressing down the Alt key, type the S Alt code (as shown in the table above) using the numeric keypad.
- Then release the Alt key to make the S sign.
More About Alt Codes
Alt codes are used to type symbols and characters that do not have a dedicated key on the keyboard in personal computers running the Microsoft Operating systems. You can do this by pressing and holding the Alt key while typing the alt code (a number that identifies the character), using the keyboard numeric keypad.
For Example, to make the S sign using the Capital S Alt code of 83: first, ensure that your NumLock is turned on, then press and hold the alt key while you type the alt code number that identifies the S symbol, which is 83, on the numeric keypad. Then release the Alt key.
Other operating systems like the Mac OS have a similar or extended form of this Alt code feature.
Rules for using the S Alt Code
- You must press and hold the Alt key before typing the Alt code (Codes in the table above) that identifies the S sign.
- You must use the numeric keypad on the right of the keyboard to type the alt code.
- Since you are using the numeric keypad, the NumLock must be turned on. Turning off the NumLock means the numeric keypad is disabled, and hence no numbers can be typed using the num pad.
- If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad, you should first turn on the hidden numeric keypad. On most laptops, you can turn this on by pressing Fn+NmLk keys simultaneously. Not all laptops have the hidden numeric keypad. If it seems like you, then you cannot use the alt code method to type either lowercase or uppercase S symbol with your laptop unless you connect an external keyboard that has a numeric keypad.
- You should also understand that not all symbols can be typed with the alt code depending on the document you are working on. Some of the alt codes work only in Microsoft Word.