In this post, you’ll learn how to use some keyboard shortcuts to type the letter O with Circumflex Accent. (Ô for uppercase, ô for lowercase)
Using the methods I’m about to teach you, you’ll be able to insert or type both the lowercase and uppercase Accent O with Circumflex.
Before we begin, I’ll like to tell you that you may also use the button below to copy and paste this symbol into your work for free.
However, if you just want to type this symbol on your keyboard, the actionable steps below will show you the way.
O with Circumflex Accent Quick Guide [Ô ô]
To type the O with Circumflex Accent symbol, press down the Alt key and type 0212 or 0244 (i.e., O Circumflex Accent Alt Codes) using the numeric keypad, then let go of the Alt key. For Mac Users, press [OPTION] + [i] then O, on your keyboard.
These shortcuts can work on any software such as in your browser, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, on both Windows and Mac.
The below table contains all the information you need to type the O with Circumflex Accent Symbol on the keyboard for both Mac and Windows.
|Symbol Name||O with Circumflex|
|Characters||Ô | ô|
|Alt Code||0212 | 0244|
|Windows Shortcut||Alt + 0212 | Alt + 0244|
|Mac Shortcut||[OPTION] + [i], O|
The quick guide above provides some useful shortcuts and alt codes on how to type these symbols on both Windows and Mac.
For more details, below are some other methods you can also use to insert this symbol into your work, such as Word or Excel documents.
How to type O with Circumflex in Word/Excel
Microsoft Office provides several methods for typing O with Circumflex Accent Symbol or inserting symbols that do not have dedicated keys on the keyboard.
In this section, I will make available for you several methods you can use to type or insert the O Circumflex Accent Sign on your PC, like in MS Office (i.e., Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) for both Mac and Windows users.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Using the O Circumflex Alt Code (For Windows Only)
The O with Circumflex Accent alt code is 0212 or 0244 for uppercase and lowercase, respectively.
Even though this Symbol has no dedicated key on the keyboard, you can still type it on the keyboard with the Alt code method. To do this, press and hold down the Alt key whilst pressing the O Circumflex Alt code (i.e., 0212 for Uppercase or 0244 for lowercase) using the numeric keypad.
This method works on Windows only. And your keyboard must also have a numeric keypad.
Below is a break-down of the steps you can use to type the O Circumflex Accent Sign on your Windows PC:
- Place your insertion pointer where you need the symbol.
- Press and hold one of the Alt keys on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the O with Circumflex Accent alt code (0212 or 0244). You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. On some laptops, there’s a hidden numeric keypad which you can enable by pressing Fn+NmLk on the keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to insert the Symbol into your document.
This is how you may type this symbol in Word using the Alt Code method.
Using Shortcuts (Mac and Windows)
For Mac users, the keyboard shortcut for the O with Circumflex Accent Symbol is [OPTION] + [i], then a.
For Windows users, use the Alt Code method by pressing down the [Alt] key whilst typing the O Circumflex alt code which is 0212 or 0244. You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. Also, ensure that your Num Lock key is turned on.
Below is a breakdown of the O with Circumflex Accent shortcut for Mac:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to type the symbol (Ô ô).
- Now, on your keyboard, press [OPTION] + [i] simultaneously then press once on the ‘a’ letter key to insert the symbol.
Below is a breakdown of the O with Circumflex Accent Symbol shortcut for Windows:
- Place the insertion pointer at the desired location.
- Press and hold down the Alt key
- While pressing down the Alt key, type 0212 or 0244 using the numeric keypad to insert the symbol.
These are the steps you may use to type these letters with shortcuts.
Copy and Paste O with Circumflex Accent
Another easy way to get the O with Circumflex Accent Symbol on any PC is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol (say in Word or Excel), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
Below is the symbol for you to copy and paste into your Word document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to Microsoft Word, place your insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
Alternatively, use the copy button at the beginning of this post.
For windows users, obey the following instructions to copy and paste these letters using the character map dialog box.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click to check the Advanced view check-box to expand the dialog box for more advanced options.
- On the advanced view, type O with Circumflex in the Search box.
- You should now see the Accent O Circumflex Symbol on the character map dialog. If you can’t see it, then you should look through the library of symbols to spot it. When found, double click it to select. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol by double-clicking it, it should appear in the Character to copy: field, then click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your Microsoft Word or Excel document, place the insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
Using insert Symbol dialog box (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Obey the following steps to insert the O with Circumflex Accent symbol in Word or Excel using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word/Excel/PowerPoint document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select the More Symbols button.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. In the Subset drop-down list, select Latin-1 Supplement to display symbols in this category which includes the O with Circumflex Accent Symbol.
- Select the symbol and click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted where you placed the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to perform this task in Microsoft Word.
As you can see, there are several different methods you can use to type the O with Circumflex Accent in Microsoft Word and other documents.
Using the shortcuts for both Windows and Mac makes the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always fast.
Thank you very much for reading this blog.