The accents on “S” are diacritical marks used to indicate stress or placed over the letter to indicate a special pronunciation. The main use of the accent marks on the “S” letter is to change the sound or pronunciation of the letter.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to type the letter S with an accent on top of it using Microsoft Word. Depending on the Operating System you are working with, there are different methods for typing these accents for different documents. You’ll learn each of these methods in a jiffy.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Option 1: Type S with accent using Alt Code (for windows only)
To type the letter S with an accent in Word, press and hold the alt key, then type the alt code for that particular character. For example, press Alt+347 for ś (s with acute) or Alt+349 for ŝ (s with circumflex). This method requires that the numbers must be typed using the numeric keypad with the Num Lock turned on.
The table below shows all the alt codes for each of the “s” with accent symbols – In lowercases and uppercases (i.e. small and capital letter S with accent marks).
|Letter S with Accent Description||Symbol Text||Alt Code|
|Small letter s with acute||ś||ALT 347|
|Capital letter S with acute||Ś||ALT 346|
|Small letter s with dot above||ṡ||ALT 7777|
|Capital letter S with dot above||Ṡ||ALT 7776|
|Small letter s with circumflex||ŝ||ALT 349|
|Capital letter S with circumflex||Ŝ||ALT 348|
|Small letter s with caron||š||ALT 0154 or ALT 353|
|Capital letter S with caron||Š||ALT 0138 or ALT 352|
|Small letter s with cedilla||ş||ALT 351|
|Capital letter S with cedilla||Ş||ALT 350|
|Small letter s with acute and dot above||ṥ||ALT 7781|
|Capital letter S with acute and dot above||Ṥ||ALT 7780|
|Small letter s with caron and dot above||ṧ||ALT 7783|
|Capital letter S with caron and dot above||Ṧ||ALT 7782|
|Small letter s with dot below||ṣ||ALT 7779|
|Capital letter S with dot below||Ṣ||ALT 7778|
|Small letter s with comma below||ș||ALT 537|
|Capital letter S with comma below||Ș||ALT 536|
|Small letter s with dot below and dot above||ṩ||ALT 7785|
|Capital letter S with dot below and dot above||Ṩ||ALT 7784|
|Small letter sharp s, eszett, scharfes s||ß||ALT 225 or ALT 0223|
|Capital letter sharp S, eszett, scharfes S||ẞ||ALT 7838|
Below is a step by step guide to type any of these S accented letters with the help of the alt codes in the table above.
- First, open up the MS Word document where you want to type the letter S with the accent.
- Turn on your Num Lock key. In other words, ensure that the keys on the numeric keypad are not disabled.
- Press and hold the Alt key, and using the numeric keypad, type the alt code of the character you wish to type. The alt codes of the various letter S with accents are listed in the table above.
- Now release the Alt key after typing the alt code on the numeric keypad.
NOTE: This option is only for Windows users.
Using Insert Symbol dialog
To insert the “s” with accent symbol using the insert symbol dialog box, obey the following instructions:
- Open up your Word document and place the cursor where you want to insert the letter “s” with accent character.
- On the Insert tab, go to Symbols > Symbol > More Symbols.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. Select Latin Extended-A from the “Subset:” drop-down list. This will display all the symbols under this category including lowercase and uppercase S with accents marks.
- Locate the S accented letter you wish to insert and double-click on it. Alternatively, click to select your desired S with accent symbol and click on the Insert button to insert it into your document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you may use to insert these symbols in Word using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
These are the various ways you may type or insert the letter S with the Accent marks in Word.
Note that you can’t use the alt code method discussed above outside Microsoft Word.
If you have something to say about this guide, please comment below.