The infinity symbol is a symbol used in mathematics to indicate the concept of infinity. The term infinity is used to express concepts that have no limits.
In this article, I will show how to type the infinity symbol text for both Windows and Mac. Without wasting much time, let’s get started.
How to type infinity Symbol Text (using the Alt code Method)
The infinity symbol alt code is 236.
The easiest way to get any symbol is to use the Alt Code method. This method is used to type symbols and characters that have not been assigned a key on the keyboard.
To type the Infinity symbol text, press and hold the alt key whilst you type the symbol’s alt code which is 236 on the numeric keypad, then release the Alt Code. This method works only on Windows. For Mac users, explore the other options in this article.
The table below shows some vital information about this symbol:
|Alt X Code||221E|
|Shortcut for Windows||[Alt] + |
|Shortcut for Mac||[Option] + |
Below are the steps to type the infinity symbol in Windows:
- Step 1: Open up your document that will contain the symbol.
- Step 2: Place your insertion pointer at the right location.
- Step 3: Press down the Alt key on your keyboard.
- Step 4: Whilst still holding on to the alt key, type 236 on the numeric keypad.
- Step 5: Release the Alt key.
As soon as you release the Alt key after pressing the alt code, the ∞ symbol will be inserted into your document.
Using the Infinity symbol shortcut for Mac
The Infinity symbol shortcut for mac is [Option] + . To type ∞ with this shortcut, press and hold the [Option] whilst you type the number  key on your keyboard.
Type Infinity Symbol Text in Word/Excel
Using the Alt Code method for Windows, and the Shortcut for Mac, you can easily insert this symbol (∞) anywhere on your PC or Laptop including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
However, for alternative ways to type this symbol in Word or Excel, please explore the remaining sections below.
There are two easy ways you can insert this symbol in Word. One involved using the Alt X method similar to the Alt Code method. And the other option uses a mouse-based approach to insert the symbol. The mouse-based approach can also be used on Excel and PowerPoint.
Option 1: Alt X (for Word Only)
The Alt X Code for the infinity symbol is 221E. To type this symbol (∞) in Word using this code, first type the code at where you need the symbol, select the code and press Alt+X on the keyboard.
As soon as you press the Alt+X hotkeys, the selected code will convert to the symbol instantly.
This method only works in Microsoft Word. For other office apps like Excel and PowerPoint, you can use the Alt code Method (Alt+236) for Windows and Shortcut (Option+5) for Mac users. Or you can explore the next option.
Option 2: Insert Dialog (Works for Word/Excel/PowerPoint)
This option involved using the insert symbol dialog box. This dialog is a library of symbols that contains all the symbols you can think of.
To use this option, obey the following instructions:
Obey the following instructions to learn how:
- Launch your Excel or Word or PowerPoint document
- Click to place the insertion pointer at where you wish to insert the symbol (∞). For Excel, select the cell that will contain this symbol
- Go to the Insert tab of your document.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select More Symbols.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. In the Subset drop-down list, select Mathematical Operators to display symbols in this category which includes the Infinity symbol text.
- Select the symbol and hit the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on it to insert it into your document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you place the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert the Infinity Symbol into your Word/Excel/PowerPoint document.
Infinity sign copy and paste
Another easy way you can get the infinity Symbol is to copy it from somewhere like a webpage or from another document. And then head over to the document you need it and paste it there.
This is one of the easiest ways you can effortlessly insert this symbol into your Documents.
Without further ado, click on the button below to copy the infinity symbol text:
After copying the infinity sign from the button above, switch over to your document and hit Ctrl V to paste.