In today’s article, you’ll learn how to use some keyboard shortcuts and other methods to type or insert the Equal to or Less-Than sign (text) in MS Word for Windows.
Just before we begin, I’ll like to tell you that you can also use the button below to copy and paste the Equal to or Less-Than symbol text into your work for free.
However, if you just want to type this symbol on your keyboard, the actionable steps below will show you everything you need to know.
Equal to or Less-Than [⋜] Quick Guide
To type the Equal to or Less-Than sign on Word for Windows, simply press down the Alt key and type 8924 using the numeric keypad, then let go of the Alt key. This shortcut can work only on MS Word.
The below table contains all the information you need to type this Symbol on the keyboard on Word for Windows PC.
|Symbol Name||Equal to or Less-Than|
|Shortcut for Windows||Alt+8924|
The quick guide above provides some useful shortcuts and alt codes on how to type the Equal to or Less-Than symbol in Word on Windows.
For more details, below are some other methods you can also use to insert this symbol into your work such as Word or Excel document.
How to Get Equal to or Less-Than sign [text] in Word
Microsoft Office provides several methods for typing Equal to or Less-Than or inserting symbols that do not have dedicated keys on the keyboard.
In this section, I will make available for you 3 different methods you can use to type or insert this and any other symbol on your PC, like in MS Word for Windows.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
See Also: How to type Envelope Symbol in Word
Using the Equal to or Less-Than Symbol Alt Code (Windows Only)
The Equal to or Less-Than symbol alt code is 8924.
Even though this Symbol has no dedicated key on the keyboard, you can still type it on the keyboard with the Alt code method. To do this, press and hold the Alt key whilst pressing the Equal to or Less-Than Alt code (i.e. 8924) using the numeric keypad.
This method works on Windows only. And your keyboard must also have a numeric keypad.
Below is a break-down of the steps you can take to type the Equal to or Less-Than Sign on your Windows PC:
- Place your insertion pointer where you need the Equal to or Less-Than text.
- Press and hold one of the Alt keys on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the Equal to or Less-Than’s alt code (8924). You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. On some laptops, there’s a hidden numeric keypad which you can enable by pressing Fn+NmLk on the keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to insert the Symbol into your document.
This is how you may type this symbol in Word using the Alt Code method.
Copy and Paste Equal to or Less-Than Sign ⋜ (text)
Another easy way to get the Equal to or Less-Than on any PC is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page, or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol (say in Word or Excel), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
Below is the symbol for you to copy and paste into your Word document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to Microsoft Word, place your insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
Alternatively, just use the copy button at the beginning of this post.
Using insert Symbol dialog box (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Obey the following steps to insert this symbol (⋜) in Word or Excel using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word/Excel/PowerPoint document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select the More Symbols button.
The Symbol dialog box will appear.
- To easily locate the Equal to or Less-Than symbol, select Segoe UI Symbol font type in the Font drop-down at the upper left section of the window. Then type 22DC in the character code field at the bottom area of the window. After typing this character code, the Equal to or Less-Than symbol will appear selected.
- Now click on the Insert button to insert the symbol into your document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you placed the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert this Symbol in Word.
As you can see, there are several different methods you can use to type the Equal to or Less-Than Sign in Microsoft Word.
Using the alt code shortcut for Word makes the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always fast.
Thank you very much for reading this blog.