The “e” with tilde (ẽ – Lowercase, Ẽ – Uppercase) is a letter that is formed by placing a tilde on top of e or E respectively.
In today’s guide, you are going to learn the exact step-by-step methods to insert or type this character (ẽ) in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint. The symbol is available for you to copy and paste.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
E with tilde quick guide (ẽ or Ẽ)
To type e with tilde on the keyboard for Microsoft Word, press and hold the alt key, and using the numeric keypad, press the character alt code (7869 for small letter ẽ and 7868 for capital letter Ẽ). Then release the alt key.
|ẽ Alt Code||7869|
|Ẽ Alt Code||7868|
|Shortcut on Word||1EBD, Alt X|
Note: The shortcuts and alt codes stated above works only in Microsoft Word for Windows. To insert this letter in other office programs like Excel or PowerPoint, please keep reading below.
How to type e with tilde on Mac
To insert the e with tilde character on Mac:
- Press and hold the “e” key.
- Continue holding the key until a menu with all the e accented characters appears.
- Using your mouse, click the e with a tilde character.
- Alternatively, press the number corresponding character on the menu.
This is how you may type ẽ symbol on Mac.
3 ways to type E with tilde in Word
There are several ways to type this character in Word. In this section, you’ll learn how to use each of these options.
Option 1: Using Shortcut
The e with tilde shortcut in Word is 1EBD, Alt X.
To use this shortcut in Word:
- Step 1: Open Word.
- Step 2: Place your insertion pointer where you want to type ẽ.
- Step 3: Type the shortcut code 1EBD.
- Step 4: Highlight this code and press Alt+X on your keyboard.
- As soon as you perform these steps, the ẽ letter should appear in place of the code.
Option 2: using e with tilde alt code
The alt code for e with tilde is 7869 (for small letter ẽ) and 7868 (for capital letter Ẽ).
To type e with tilde in Word using the alt code:
- Step 1: Launch your Word document.
- Step 2: Place the insertion pointer where you want to type the symbol.
- Step 3: Press and hold the Alt key.
- Step 3: Type the Alt code (7869 or 7868) using the numeric keypad.
- Step 5: Release the Alt key.
These steps should give you the character in your Word document.
Option 3: Using insert symbol dialog
To insert ẽ using the insert symbol dialog box, obey the following instructions:
- Open up your Word document and place the insertion pointer where need the character.
- On the Insert tab, go to Symbols > Symbol > More Symbols.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. Select Latin Extended Additional from the “Subset:” drop-down list. This will display all the symbols under this category including small and capital e with tilde symbols.
- Locate the character you wish to insert and double-click on it. Alternatively, click to select the character (ẽ or Ẽ) and click on the Insert button to insert it into your document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you may use to insert these symbols in Word using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
How to Insert E with tilde in Excel
To insert ẽ in Excel:
- Launch Excel.
- Select the cell that will contain the character.
- Go to the Insert tab and click on the Symbols drop-down button and select Symbol from the list.
- The Symbols Dialog box will appear. From the “Subset:” drop-down list, select Latin Extended Additional. All the symbols under this group will appear.
- Click to select the particular character you want to insert, then click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Excel document.
These are all the steps needed to insert the symbol in Microsoft Excel.
How to insert e with tilde in PowerPoint
To insert ẽ in PowerPoint:
- Open your PowerPoint document.
- Place the insertion pointer on the slide that will contain the e with tilde symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab on the ribbon.
- Click on the Symbols button to launch the Symbol dialog box.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. From the “Subset” drop-down list, select Latin Extended Additional. You should see all the characters in this category.
- Select the ẽ character you wish to insert and click on the Insert button. Otherwise, just double-click on the symbol you want to insert into your PowerPoint document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you need to be able to insert the e with tilde symbol in Microsoft PowerPoint using the Insert symbol dialog.
Option 6: Copy and Paste e with tilde
Another easy way you can get the ẽ letter on any PC (whether Windows or Mac) is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol (say in Word, Excel or PowerPoint), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
To copy and paste this character, select it (ẽ or Ẽ) and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to your document, place your insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste.
You can also use the Character Map to copy and paste this symbol or character on Windows. It contains every symbol or character you can think of. Obey the following instructions on how to copy symbols on Windows using the character map dialog.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click on it to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear.
- At the bottom of the character map dialog box, select the Advanced view checkbox to expand for more options.
- In the “Search for:” field, type in ‘e with tilde’ and hit enter. From the search results, locate the letter ẽ and double-click on it. It should appear in the Character to copy: field, click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your document where you want to paste the copied symbol, place the insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste the ẽ character on Windows PC.
Among all these several options to type the e with tilde letters, I think using the alt code method for Windows is the fastest provided you know the alt code of the letter you want to type.
Using the keyboard shortcut to type e with a tilde is also a handy method for Mac users. However, you can also use a mouse-based approach if you are inserting these symbols in any of the Office programs like Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
If you have anything to say about typing the ẽ symbol, please drop it in the comments section below.