The “e” Grave (è – Lowercase, È – Uppercase) is a letter that is formed by placing the grave accent mark (`) on top of small or capital letter e.
In today’s guide, you are going to learn the exact methods to insert or type the letter e with the grave accent mark over it (È) using the keyboard.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
- How to type e with a tilde
- How to type e with acute or apostrophe
- How to type e with circumflex or caret
- How to type e with accents
E with Grave Accent Alt Code
The e with grave Accent alt code is 0232 for lowercase and 0200 for uppercase.
To type the “e” with Grave Accent on the keyboard for Windows, press and hold the alt key, and using the numeric keypad, press the alt code (0232 for small letter è and 0200 for capital letter È), then release the alt key. For Mac Users, press [OPTION]+[` Grave], release these keys, then press the “e” key once.
The table below shows some information about the “e” with the grave accent symbol including the Alt Code as well as the shortcut for both Windows and Mac.
|Small è Alt Code||0232|
|Capital È Alt Code||0200|
|Shortcut on Mac||[OPTION]+[`], e|
|Shortcut on Word||[Ctrl] + [`], e|
Note: The shortcut for Word works only in Microsoft Word and on Windows. To type this character in other programs other than MS Word, use the Alt Code method.
Two ways to type e with Grave Accent on Mac
There are two simple ways you can easily type the è symbol on your Mac using the keyboard. Let’s explore these options below.
Option 1: Using Shortcut
The e with Grave Accent shortcut on Mac is [OPTION]+[`], then e. To use this shortcut, simultaneously press and release the [OPTION] and the [` grave] keys on your keyboard. And without pressing any other key, press “e” once.
This should give you the è character.
Option 2: Delayed Pressing Method
The modern version of the Mac OS comes with a very easy way to type letters with accents. It is extremely fast. This fast method involves a prolonged pressing of the letter for more of its versions. Let’s see how to do this with the è character.
To insert the e Grave character on Mac:
- Step 1: Press and hold the “e” key.
- Step 2: Continue holding the key until a menu with all the e accented characters appear.
- Step 3: Using your mouse, click the desired character to insert.
- Alternatively, press the number corresponding to the desired character on the menu.
These are the two options you may use to type this symbol on Mac.
Type e with grave accent in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
If you are on Windows, you can use the Alt Code method to type this symbol in any program including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or even in your web browser.
The other option is to use the insert symbol dialog box which is available in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Obey the following Instructions;
- First of all, launch the office program where you want to insert the è symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab, in the Symbol’s group, select on the Symbol button.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. Locate è character and double click on it to insert into your document.
Using the alt code method is the fastest way only if you know the alt code of the e with grave accent symbol.
Using the shortcut for Mac also is a very handy way for typing this symbol.
However, if you have something to say about this guide, please dop it in the comments section below.