The “e” Circumflex (ê – Lowercase, Ê – Uppercase) is a letter that is formed with a caret-shaped mark (^) on top of small or capital letter e. It is sometimes called e caret.
In today’s guide, you are going to learn the exact methods to insert or type the letter e with the caret mark over it (Ê).
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
- How to type e with a tilde
- How to type e with acute
- How to type e Accents
- How to type e with a grave accent
- E Circumflex quick guide
- Two ways to type e Circumflex on Mac
- E Circumflex Alt code (For Windows)
- How to type ê in Word
- How to Insert ê in Excel
- Insert e caret in PowerPoint
- Copy and Paste e Circumflex (or e caret)
E Circumflex quick guide
To type e Circumflex on the keyboard for Windows, press and hold the alt key, and using the numeric keypad, press the e caret alt code (0234 for small letter ê and 0202 for capital letter Ê). Then release the alt key. For Mac Users, press [OPTION]+[i], release these keys, then press only the “e” key once.
|Small letter e Circumflex||ê|
|Capital letter e Circumflex||Ê|
|Small ê Alt Code||0234|
|Capital Ê Alt Code||0202|
|Shortcut on Mac||[OPTION]+[i], e|
|Shortcut on Word||[Ctrl] + [^ caret], e|
Note: The shortcut for Word works only in Microsoft Word and on Windows. To insert this letter in other office programs like Excel or PowerPoint, please use the alt code method or the shortcut for Mac users. All these options are explained below.
Two ways to type e Circumflex on Mac
Option 1: Using Shortcut
The e Circumflex shortcut on Mac is [OPTION]+[i], e. To use this shortcut, simultaneously press and release the [OPTION]+[i] keys on your keyboard. And without pressing any other key, press “e” once.
This should give you the ê character.
Option 2: Delayed Pressing Method
The modern version of the Mac OS comes with a very easy way to type letters with accents. It is extremely fast. This fast method involves a prolonged pressing of the letter for more of its versions. Let’s see how to do this with the “e” caret symbol.
To insert the e Circumflex character on Mac:
- Step 1: Press and hold the “e” key.
- Step 2: Continue holding the key until a menu with all the e accented characters appear.
- Step 3: Using your mouse, click the desired character to insert.
- Alternatively, press the number corresponding to the desired character on the menu.
This is how you may type this symbol on Mac.
E Circumflex Alt code (For Windows)
The e Circumflex alt code is 0234 for small letter Ê and 0202 for capital letter Ê.
To type e caret in Word using the alt code:
- Step 1: Launch your Word document.
- Step 2: Place the insertion pointer where you want to type the e caret symbol.
- Step 3: Press and hold the Alt key.
- Step 4: Type the Alt code (0234 for ê or 0202 for Ê) using the numeric keypad.
- Step 5: Release the Alt key.
These steps should give you the ê accent over it.
How to type ê in Word
Using the alt code for windows and the shortcut for Mac, you can type the caret e character anywhere including Microsoft Word. However, If you want more options on this, explore these other options available.
Option 1: Using a Keyboard shortcut
The e circumflex shortcut for Windows is [Ctrl] + [^ caret], then e. For Mac users, press [OPTION]+[i], then i.
Option 2: Using insert symbol dialog
To insert the e caret in Word using the insert symbol dialog box, obey the following instructions:
- Open up your Word document and place the insertion pointer where you want to insert the character.
- On the Insert tab, go to Symbol > More Symbols.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. Select Latin-1 Supplement from the “Subset:” drop-down list. This will display all the symbols or characters under this category.
- Locate the “e” caret symbol and double-click on it to insert. Alternatively, click to select your desired symbol (Lowercase ê or Uppercase Ê) and click on the Insert button to insert it into your document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you may use to insert the e caret symbol in Word using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
How to Insert ê in Excel
Obey the following steps to insert e caret in Excel:
- Launch Excel.
- Select the cell that will contain the ê character you wish to insert.
- On the Insert tab, click on the Symbols drop-down button and select Symbol from the list.
- The Symbols Dialog box will appear. From the “Subset:” drop-down list, select Latin-1 Supplement. All the symbols under this group will appear including the small and capital letter ê.
- Click to select symbol or character, then click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Excel document.
These are all the steps needed to insert the caret e symbol in Microsoft Excel.
Insert e caret in PowerPoint
To insert the ê in PowerPoint, obey the following instructions:
- Open your PowerPoint document.
- Place the insertion pointer on the slide that will contain the “ê” symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab on the ribbon.
- Click on the Symbols button to launch the Symbol dialog box.
- On the Symbol dialog box that appeared, select Latin-1 Supplement from the “Subset” drop-down list.
- Now select the “e” with caret mark and click on the Insert button. Otherwise, just double-click on the symbol you want to insert into your PowerPoint document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you need to be able to insert the e caret symbol in Microsoft PowerPoint using the Insert symbol dialog.
Copy and Paste e Circumflex (or e caret)
Another easy way you can get this on any PC (whether Windows or Mac) is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is copy the “e” with caret symbol from somewhere like a web page or the character map for windows users, and head over to wherever you need the symbol (say in Word, Excel or somewhere in your browser), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
To copy and paste e Circumflex, select it (ê or Ê) and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to your document, place your insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste. Below are both the small and capital e caret characters if you want to copy.
|Small letter e with Circumflex||Capital letter E with circumflex|
You can also use the Character Map to copy and paste this symbol or character on Windows. This dialog contains every symbol or character you can think of. Obey the following instructions on how to copy symbols on Windows using the character map dialog.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click on it to launch.
- At the bottom of the character map dialog box, select the Advanced view check box to expand for more options.
- In the “Search for:” field, type in ‘e with circumflex’ and hit enter. From the search results, locate the ê character and double-click on it. It should appear in the Character to copy: field, click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your document where you want to paste the copied symbol, place the insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste the symbols or characters on a Windows PC.
Among all these several options to type the e caret symbol, I think using the alt code method for Windows is the fastest option, provided you know the alt code of the symbol you want to type.
Using the keyboard shortcut to this symbol is also a handy method for Mac users. However, you can also use a mouse-based approach if you are inserting these symbols in any of the Office programs like Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
If you have any comments about typing the ‘e Circumflex’ character, please drop it in the comments section below.