The e acute (é – Lowercase, É – Uppercase) is a letter that is formed by placing an acute mark on top of small or capital letter e. It is also known as apostrophe e.
In today’s guide, you are going to learn the exact methods to insert or type the letter e with the apostrophe mark over it (é).
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
E acute quick guide
To type e acute on the keyboard for Windows, press and hold the alt key, and using the numeric keypad, press the e apostrophe alt code (0233 for small letter é and 0201 for capital letter É). Then release the alt key. For Mac Users, press [OPTION]+[e], release these keys, then press only the “e” key.
|Small letter e acute||é|
|Capital letter e acute||É|
|Small é Alt Code||0233|
|Capital É Alt Code||0201|
|Shortcut on Mac||[OPTION]+[e], e|
|Shortcut on Word||[Ctrl] + [‘], e|
Note: The e acute shortcut for Word works only in Microsoft Word and on Windows. To insert this letter in other office programs like Excel or PowerPoint, please use the alt code method or the shortcut for Mac users. All the available options are explained below.
- How to type e with any accents
- How to type e with a tilde
- How to type e with a grave accent
- How to type e with circumflex or caret
Two ways to type e acute on Mac
Option 1: Using Shortcut
The e acute shortcut on Mac is [OPTION]+[e], e. To use this shortcut, press and release the [OPTION]+[e] keys on your keyboard. And without pressing any other key, press “e” once.
This should give you the é character.
Option 2: Using the e accent menu
The modern version of the Mac OS comes with a very easy way to type letters with accents. And it is extremely fast. This fast method involves a prolonged pressing of the letter for more of its versions. Let’s see how to do this with the “e” apostrophe character.
To insert the e acute character on Mac:
- Step 1: Press and hold the “e” key.
- Step 2: Continue holding the key until a menu with all the e accented characters appear.
- Step 3: Using your mouse, click the e acute character.
- Alternatively, press the number corresponding to the apostrophe “e” character in the menu.
This is how you may type this on Mac.
E acute Alt code (For Windows)
The e acute alt code is 0233 for small letter é and 0201 for capital letter É.
To type e apostrophe in Word using the alt code:
- Step 1: Launch your Word document.
- Step 2: Place the insertion pointer where you want to type the apostrophe e.
- Step 3: Press and hold the Alt key.
- Step 4: Type the Alt code (0233 or 0201)using the numeric keypad.
- Step 5: Release the Alt key.
These steps should give you the é or É character anywhere on your Windows Computer.
How to type E apostrophe in Word
Using the alt code for windows and the shortcut for Mac, you can type the apostrophe é character anywhere including Microsoft Word. However, If you want more options on this, explore these other options available.
Using insert symbol dialog
To insert the e apostrophe in Word using the insert symbol dialog box, obey the following instructions:
- Open up your Word document and place the insertion pointer where you want to insert symbol.
- On the Insert tab, go to Symbol > More Symbols.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. Select Latin-1 Supplement from the “Subset:” drop-down list. This will display all the symbols or characters under this category.
- Locate the “e” apostrophe symbol and double-click on it to insert. Alternatively, click to select your desired character (é or É) and click on the Insert button to insert it into your document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you may use to insert the e apostrophe symbols in Word using the Insert Symbol dialog box.
How to Insert E apostrophe in Excel
Obey the following steps to insert apostrophe e in Excel:
- Launch Excel.
- Select the cell that will contain the character you wish to insert.
- On the Insert tab, click on the Symbols drop-down button and select Symbol from the list.
- The Symbols Dialog box will appear. From the “Subset:” drop-down list, select Latin-1 Supplement. All the symbols under this group will appear including the small and capital letter e apostrophe.
- Click to select the e acute symbol, then click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Excel document.
These are all the steps needed to insert the apostrophe e symbol in Microsoft Excel.
Insert apostrophe e in PowerPoint
To insert letter e acute in PowerPoint, obey the following instructions:
- Open your PowerPoint document.
- Place the insertion pointer on the slide that will contain the “e” apostrophe symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab on the ribbon.
- Click on the Symbols button to launch the Symbol dialog box.
- On the Symbol dialog box that appeared, select Latin-1 Supplement from the “Subset” drop-down list.
- Now select e with the apostrophe symbol and click on the Insert button. Otherwise, just double-click on the symbol you want to insert into your PowerPoint document.
- Close the dialog.
These are the steps you need to be able to insert the e apostrophe symbol in Microsoft PowerPoint using the Insert symbol dialog.
Copy and Paste e acute (or e apostrophe)
Another easy way you can get the e acute letter on any PC (whether Windows or Mac) is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is copy the e apostrophe symbol from somewhere like a web page or the character map for windows users, and head over to wherever you need the symbol (say in Word, Excel or somewhere in your browser), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
To copy and paste e acute, select it (é or É) and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to your document, place your insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste. Below are both the small and capital e apostrophe characters if you want to copy.
|Small letter e with Acute||Capital letter E with acute|
You can also use the Character Map to copy and paste the e acute symbol or character on Windows. It contains every symbol or character you can think of. Obey the following instructions on how to copy symbols on Windows using the character map dialog.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click on it to launch.
- At the bottom of the character map dialog box, select the Advanced view check box to expand for more options.
- In the “Search for:” field, type in ‘e with acute’ and hit enter. From the search results, locate the letter e acute and double-click on it. It should appear in the Character to copy: field, click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your document where you want to paste the copied symbol, place the insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste the e acute character on Windows PC.
Among all these several options to type the e apostrophe symbol, I think using the alt code method for Windows is the fastest option, provided you know the alt code of the symbol you want to type.
Using the keyboard shortcut to this symbol is also a handy method for Mac users. However, you can also use a mouse-based approach if you are inserting these symbols in any of the Office programs like Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
If you have any comments to make about typing the ‘e acute’ character, please drop it in the comments section below.