In today’s article, you’ll learn about all the available methods and shortcuts you can use to type the And (or Ampersand) symbol on your keyboard, whether you are using Windows or Mac, and whether you are working with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint or in your browser.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
But before we begin, you can also use the button below to easily copy and paste the And (or Ampersand) symbol for free.
Below is an image of a keyboard showing where the And (ampersand) symbol key is located.
However, if copy and paste aren’t what you are looking for, and you cannot also find or type the Ampersand symbol key on your keyboard, continue reading below on how you can type the And ( or Ampersand) symbol using some shortcuts.
And (or Ampersand) symbol [&] Quick Help
To type the And (or Ampersand) symbol on your keyboard, press and hold the Alt key and type the Ampersand symbol alt code which is 38 on the numeric keypad, then release the alt key. Alternatively, press on your keyboard, Shift + 7 for both Mac and Windows.
|Windows/Mac shortcut||Shift + 7|
|Windows Alt Code Shortcut||Alt + 38|
The above quick guide provides some useful information about the And symbol including shortcuts and alt codes you can use on both Windows and Mac. However, below are some other methods you can also leverage to insert this symbol into your Word document.
5 ways to type the Ampersand (or And symbol) on Keyboard
Microsoft Office provides several methods for typing or inserting symbols that do not have dedicated keys on the keyboard.
In this section, I will make available for you five different methods you can utilise to type or insert the And symbol in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or any text editor for both Mac and Windows users.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
1. Using the Ampersand symbol key on the keyboard
Where is the Ampersand or And symbol key on the Keyboard?
On most keyboards, the And symbol key is located on the same key as the 7 key. Pressing this key gives you 7. Thus, in order to type this symbol, press down the shift key before you press on the 7 key.
There are different keyboards with different layouts. Thus, aside from the key locations illustrated above, the forward-slash symbol can be placed in some other locations depending on the keyboard layout or manufacturer.
2. Using the Ampersand Symbol Alt Code (Windows Only)
The Ampersand or And symbol alt code is 38.
Even though this symbol has a dedicated key on most English keyboards, you can also use the Alt Numpad Input Method (AKA Alt Code Method) to type this symbol. This can be done by pressing and holding the Alt key whilst typing the And symbol Alt code (38) using the numeric keypad.
This method is for Windows only. And your keyboard must also have a numeric keypad.
If you don’t still get it, just obey the following instructions to type the And symbol using the alt code method:
- Place your insertion pointer where you need the symbol.
- Press and hold the Alt key on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the symbol’s alt code (38). You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. On some laptops, there’s a hidden numeric keypad which you can enable by pressing Fn+NmLk keystrokes on the keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Alt code to insert the Symbol into your document.
This is how you may type this symbol in anywhere on your Windows PC using the Alt Code method.
3. Using the Ampersand symbol Shortcut (Mac and Windows)
The keyboard shortcut for the And symbol for Mac is Shift + 7. This same shortcut also works for Windows users, or use the Alt Code method by pressing down the alt key and typing the alt code of 38 on the numeric keypad.
To type the Ampersand symbol with a shortcut, obey the instructions below:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to type the And symbol.
- For both Windows and Mac, press and hold the Shift key and hit once on the  (Seven) key.
- For windows users, press and hold the alt key and type 38 on the number pad.
These are the steps you may use to type this symbol in Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
4. Copy and Paste the Ampersand symbol
Another easy way to get the And symbol on any PC is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol (say in Word or Excel), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
Below is the symbol for you to copy and paste into your document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to your text editor, place your insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste.
For windows users, you may also obey the following instructions to copy and paste this [&] and any other symbol using the character map dialog box.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click on it to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click on the Advanced view checkbox to expand the dialog box for more options.
- On the advanced view, type Ampersand in the Search box. This is the official name of the And symbol.
- You should now see only the Ampersand symbol on the character map dialog. Double click on the symbol to select it. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol by double-clicking on it, it should appear in the Character to copy: field, then click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your Microsoft Word document, place the insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
5. Using insert Symbol dialog box
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Obey the following steps to insert the And symbol in Word using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word docum&ent.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select the More Symbols button.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. In the Subset drop-down list, select Basic Latin to display symbols in that category which includes the And symbol.
- Select the symbol and click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you place the insertion pointer in the beginning.
These are the steps you may use to insert the And symbol in Word or Excel or PowerPoint using the Symbol library.
As you can see, there are several different methods you can use to type the Ampersand or And symbol on keyboard.
Using the shortcuts for both Windows and Mac make the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always fast and save time.
Thank you very much for reading this blog.
If you have any suggestion or question to ask about this article, please drop it in the comments below.